“Selling My Mt Pleasant, SC Home in Winter ”
Selling your home in Mt. Pleasant, SC? You may think spring is the best time to put your house on the market because there are usually more buyers at that time of the year. What you may not consider is that every other homeowner is thinking the same thing, which means you’ll have the most competition.
Here are a few things to consider:
Inventory in the winter is lower, therefore, being the number 1 reason to sell your Charleston and Mt. Pleasant, SC home in the winter. When inventory of homes for sale is low it makes it a seller’s market, but in order to get the most interest and the best price, there are some very simple things you can do
- 1. Clear out the top! Cleaning your gutters and clearing your roof are simple things that protect the house in the winter and help demonstrate to prospective buyers how you have cared for the home.
- 2. Insulate the attic. Here in Mt. Pleasant SC we really don’t get cold weather for along period of time, but when it is walking into a chilly home is not appealing to buyers! If the attic is not insulated, or if the insulation needs a touch up, do it! It’s a quick fix that’s helpful for both winter and summer months and could add more value to your home.
- 3. Check your heating and air system. Speaking of chilly homes, make sure your heating system is running effectively and efficiently. Not only will buyers be partial to a home that has been properly maintained, but the home inspector will be checking, too!
- 4. Prepare the plumbing. In the cold-weather months, the pipes can be especially vulnerable. Make sure any exterior faucets are shut off or sealed, and wrap any exposed pipes with proper insulation to prevent freezing or bursting. The last thing you need when showing your home for sale is a plumbing problem!
- 5. Check the chimney. If you have a fireplace, make sure that it’s cleaned and free of any fire hazards. This is an easy way to give buyers peace of mind – and you too, can enjoy the homey hearth until your home sells!
Wintertime means less competition to sell your home in Mt. Pleasant and Charleston, SC and buyers tend to be more serious about purchasing, so take advantage of that and list your home now! However, even with the leverage, there are still some things that will help you sell quickly, before the Spring rush starts.
- 1. Keep the decor simple. If you’re a Holiday fanatic, make sure decorations are packed away, or at least minimized. Some pretty white lights outside can enhance curb appeal, but make sure that Christmas tree is long gone!
- 2. Capitalize on the Cozy. Light a fire, burn some scented candles, bake some cookies. Create an environment that scream “HOME” and not just “house”.
- 3. Light the Way! The sun goes down earlier in the winter, so even mid-afternoon showings can be dark. Be sure you have a well-lit path to the door and the exterior is well lit to make the house look appealing.
Of course standard showing rules still apply – declutter and depersonalize – but these little extra touches can help a prospective buyer to imagine themselves living in your house.